About the Guernsey County Board of Developmental Disabilities

     Since 1957 the Guernsey County Board of DD has been providing opportunities for education, employment and enhancement of the lives of people with developmental disabilities, allowing them to develop to their highest potential.
     The county board's beginnings can be traced to the Guernsey County Council for Retarded Children, organized by a group of parents and friends and authorized by the Guernsey County Child Welfare Board in March 1957.  The group, led by Mrs. Otis Brown, council president, sponsored a drive to raise money to pay for special classes for disabled children in the county.
     The first class of eight children was held in a basement room at Central School in Byesville in September 1957.  As the needs of the community changed, so did the services provided by the Guernsey County Board of DD.
     In November of 1969, adult training began in addition to the three classes of school-age children.  Forty-four persons, including Noble County residents who paid a tuition to the Guernsey County board, finally had somewhere to go for desperately needed help.
     As the number of individuals requesting services continued to grow, services expanded.  In November 1972 discussion began among
board members concerning the building of a new campus as headquarters for the program serving both adults and youth.  After an extensive search the board decided on a tract of land along Route 209 across from the Cambridge Country Club.  Cost of the land and the building was shared by the county and the Ohio Department of MR/DD.  In late summer 1977, ground was broken for the new Golden Rule School.  After 21 years of providing services from the Meek Avenue location, the new school and the GNC Workshop building, currently Guernsey Industries, were dedicated November 5, 1978.